Upper Brook Hill is set in an outstanding location with lovely views over the Glyme valley yet only yards from the centre of the town and is in reach of the shops, local amenities and magnificent Blenheim Palace. There are 11 town houses and 16 apartments, all with garages or carports, set in their own private grounds and built in natural cotswold stone.
The mellow stone built town still retains much of the appearance and atmosphere of its historic past; from the middle ages survive the broad central streets shaped to accommodate busy markets and fairs. From the prosperous 18th Century survive the tall coaching inns, the Georgian town hall, the church tower and elegant Park Street leading to one of the finest landscapes in England.
The town itself was founded by Henry II who, for the love of ‘Fair Rosamund‘ (his mistress Rosamund Cifford), allegedly made such regular visits to Woodstock that extra lodgings were needed for his retinue and guests. So new Woodstock was laid out on vacant land at the park gate. Trade flourished through the royal connection and Woodstock, a market centre, prospered and expanded. A charter was granted by Henry VI in 1453. In time, as other towns recieved royal patronage, Woodstock‘s castle and park became neglected and the decline facing the town was only averted in 1705 when Queen Anne presented the park to the nation‘s military hero, John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, recent victor over the French at Blindheim in Bavaria.
For further information contact Anita Pemberton at The Beechcroft Trust on 01491 821022